Tuesday, May 7, 2013

On to the next adventure...

Now that my first major event of the year has passed, I am onto the next one. On Sunday, June 9 I will be participating in the Westfield Wave Sprint Triathlon! I completed the Super Sprint (300 yd swim, 6.3 mile bike, 1 mile run) in 2010 and 2012 and won my age group both times.


Last year was so fun that I vowed to do it the right way in 2013 - and kick it up a notch! I purchased a real road bike with my tax returns and am now in the midst of Sprint Triathlon training. It is so fun, I would participate in triathlons regularly if they didn't cost so much money. My goal is to do two this year and this is the easier of the two, with: .3 mile swim, 13 mile bike, and 3 mile run. This is what the plan looks like (yes I'm a lazy butt, but it works):


This week is oddly easy, while last week was a tough start. I really like that triathlon training forces me to cross-train and spend a considerable amount of time doing so. Obviously, I am flexible with my training as you can seen on this chart. Yesterday my best friend took me to Bikram Yoga for my birthday, and boy what a treat! Anyways, since I haven't taken a day off in a week, I decided to do so today. I will most likely never swim only 600 yards because that seems like a waste of getting into the pool, but I am combining it with body sculpt at the gym, so maybe I will be tired?

Obviously my schedule this week requires me to rein in the eating a little bit, which is hard to do after half marathon prep and a heavy-ish training week. My body doesn't always get the memo that it is time to switch gears, and something like this happens....


...on a Monday night. Before hot yoga. Luckily my stomach is pretty strong and wasn't bothered. And hey, I dressed it up with healthy toppings. The recipe for this "mug" cake is all too easy but oh so good. With this drop in activity, I have a lot to do to prepare for my final paper and enrollment in September at Mount Holyoke. This means that I have not cooked (nor cleaned) much lately and I have been pretty lazy. Tonight's dinner is evidence enough, healthy un-fried fried rice as inspired by the blog Daily Garnish.  



It is not the prettiest thing to look at but man is it tasty. This version includes edamame, corn (from last summer) and broccoli. I am hoping to find more inspiration on Thursday when I go to my first Spring Farmer's Market! Crossing my fingers that asparagus will be ready....

No comments:

Post a Comment