Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Making (Vegan) Banana (Quinoa) Pancakes.....


Since I have been writing about my exercise activities so much lately, I figured it was high time that I bring in another recipe. That, and I keep having to re-do the math every time I want to make these pancakes because I haven’t written the recipe down!

I came across this recipe when looking for a banana quinoa pancake. Out of the entirety of the internet, I could not find such a recipe. And that is how these wonderful, healthy, delicious pancakes came to be.

These pancakes are vegan and oh so filling. I usually top them with peanut butter and syrup and eat with fresh fruit and nuts before a long run. A breakfast such as this leaves me feeling full and satisfied for hours on end. It is especially great to have before a long workout, I never feel weak after a plate of these!



Banana Quinoa Pancakes (vegan)

1.5 T chia seeds
4.5 T water
1 c cooked quinoa
¾ c whole wheat flour
2 t baking powder
½ t salt
¼ c + 2 T soymilk
3 T mashed banana

Optional mix-ins: fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, etc.

1)      Start by combining the chia seeds and water in a small dish. Whisk together and allow to sit until the mixture has a gooey consistency (5-10 minutes). At this point you will also mash the banana in a small bowl – the riper, the better.

2)      In a medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, baking powder, and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together chia, banana, and milk until smooth. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk to combine. If you are using any mix-ins inside of the pancakes, fold them in now.

3)      Prepare a skillet on the stovetop, medium heat, and put down some coconut oil. Once the oil is spread throughout the skillet drop 3 T of batter (or more for larger pancakes) down. Allow to cook until firm, then flip to brown the other side.

Makes about 10 medium pancakes.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment